Saturday 23 July 2011

Business Wear Part 4: Belt Up

So, you've ventured down to your local charity shop/vintage shop/car boot sale/second hand market stall and you've found a jacket you really really like...but it's just too big. No point buying it right? Well not necessarily. My favourite jacket is a white, 1980's lightly shoulderpadded, gold buttoned summer jacket from the Antoinette range at Harrods. It's a size 12 so, rather than wearing it loose and unflattering, I wrap it round and chuck a belt on it. The silhouette it creates with it's nipped in waist and structured shoulders is flattering and the awesome Harrods quality is obvious (I'll put up a photo when I get a mo!). Adding a waist belt works great with a lot of jacket styles, but my personal favourite is adding it to 80's jackets (which were often originally worn over-sized and a little loose) to create a sharp, updated, smart look. And let's be honest, if belting a jacket is good enough for Coco, it's good enough for me!


H.B.
x

2 comments:

  1. I'd like to see that jacket! Isn't it Coco who said "Put on all your accessories for your outfit and then take the last thing off!" Or something similar- which I quote all the time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha thanks, I left it up at uni so I'll take some photos when I'm next up! I think it's something like 'When accessorizing always take off the last thing you put on' she said loads of great quotes, think my favourite is 'The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud.'...or of course 'A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous'

    ReplyDelete